Regional Purdue Students Applying for Study Abroad

Protocol for students from Purdue regional campuses taking part in study abroad programs through the West Lafayette campus


1.  Using your MyPurdue Account

Regional campus students must have a career account alias and a password in order to log in and apply for Study Abroad.  Students that do not have their career account and password set up must contact the Sudy Abroad Office directly to retrieve a password in order to apply.

2.  Transferring to West Lafayette Campus

After a regional campus student is approved for study abroad, the student must complete the "Regional Campus Student Study Abroad Admission Approval Form”  and return it to the Study Abroad Office to transfer her/his registration to the West Lafayette campus for the study abroad period. 

3.  Course Registration

The regional campus student is not assigned to a department academic advisor; rather the West Lafayette Office of Admissions will send the student a PIN# to access registration.  The student will log into "myPurdue" and register themselves for the appropriate SA course number.  The student will be billed by the West Lafayette Bursar’s Office.  Depending on the type of program, the student will be assesed a study abroad fee or for Purdue WL tuition.  Tuition, fees, and program costs can be found on the web flyer for each program.

4.  Course Approval

Since the student is considered a West Lafayette student for the study abroad period, s/he will proceed as a West Lafayette student and get course approval information from a West Lafayette study abroad liaison.  Students will meet with their home campus academic advisor to learn how the courses will fulfill major, minor, and elective requirements.  The student and advisor need to keep in mind that the course work completed abroad needs to be transferred back to West Lafayette course numbers for the study abroad period. 

5.  Financial Aid

Students will work with their home campus in making arrangements to continue receiving financial aid.  Study Abroad will sign and forward to the West Lafayette DFA any required documents for financial aid.  Regional campus DFA offices should contact WL DFA directly for any questions or documentation.

6.  Scholarships

There is a  list of available general  scholarships on the study abroad website:

7.  West Lafayette Study Abroad Requirements

Regional campus students need to submit all of the forms on the My Study Abroad page and complete the online orientation.  They are encouraged to attend pre-departure meetings held on the West Lafayette campus. 

8.  Transcripts

Work completed abroad will be posted to the student’s West Lafayette transcript for the term of study abroad.  Students from Calumet, North Central and IPFW are “transcripted” by Purdue, so the course number, credits and grades will be posted directly to the existing academic record and your study abroad desitnation will appear in the header for the given semester.   Students from IUPUI are “transcripted” by Indiana University; those students will need to make arrangements for the transfer of credits and grades from the Purdue transcript they will receive to the IUPUI transcript.  Differences in course numbers and content in specific departments will need to be handled by the student and the home campus academic departments.