Independent International Activity

Independent International Activity

Faculty/staff members are reminded of university expectations regarding international activities of students under their sponsorship or guidance (i.e. not being administered through the Office of Programs for Study Abroad or International Programs in Agriculture). This charge is associated with the campus-wide memo issued by Michael A. Brzezinski, Dean of International Programs (IP).  Expectations are as follows:

[1]   Insurance:  Obtain insurance for the student(s) through the Form RM-23 (scroll down and click on the RM-23) at least two weeks in advance.  By doing this, you effectively will be providing IP with student name, travel dates, and country location (via the insurance ordering roster of Purdue Risk Management).

[2]   Reporting: As relevant, tell the Study Abroad Office if the student experience is consistent with the Purdue definition of "study abroad" (for record-keeping and reporting).  By default, independent international activities of students are treated as not meeting the Purdue definition unless told otherwise.  For interest, you can see the  Purdue Definition of Study Abroad to inform this decision.

[3]  Contact information: Please provide a general itinerary and on-site emergency contact information when it is finalized.  This should include lodging information, telephone information, and email information.

[4]  Evacuation Coverage: Inform the student that their insurance includes "ACE Travel Assistance Program" travel assistance services (for evacuations related to natural disasters, medical needs, or political uprisings), albeit knowing they should also receive information from Risk Management when insurance is ordered.  Instruct students that when they get their insurance card they should keep it with them (and program the emergency number in their cell phones as applicable). For further information, students can view insurance information for details.

[5] Vaccinations and related preventative healthcare: Instruct participants to consult their preferred healthcare professional or other reputable sources (e.g. CDC website, Purdue-PUSH).

[6]  Participant Statement of Responsibility forms:  All participants involved in any Purdue University international activity are expected to sign a general "Statement of Responsibility".  study abroad  form

[7]  Satisfy any necessary OFAC directives: If traveling to an "Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)" Country, OFAC may limit travel and financial payment into sanctioned countries. The OFAC website will provide a current list of sanctioned countries, and the sanctions imposed. It is the organizer's responsibility for reviewing said sanctions and making sure all rules and regulations are being followed. Any questions related to OFAC sanctions should be relayed to the Purdue University Export Control Office at

[8]  Waiver, Release, and Hold Harmless:   Additionally ONLY for destinations under a Travel Warning, students will be required to sign a "Waiver, Release, and Hold Harmless Agreement for Purdue Students Intending to Study in Country Under Travel Warning."   (In most cases this will be done at the time insurance is ordered.)  Note: This pre-supposes that the Purdue University Chief Corporate and Global Partnerships Officer has approved this; see more detail about the process to pursue an exception by reading the Purdue Policy on Security.

[9]  Instructions for non-US Citizens:   All Purdue international students need to interface with the Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS) before planning any international travel. This includes any international activities related to study, research, conferences, or other educational purposes. For all matters related to the legal status of international students the authoritative source is ISS.

[10]  Human Subjects Research:   As needed, instruct students to consult the Institutional Review Board (IRB) about Human Subjects Research.   All Purdue University investigators (including students) who are engaged in human subjects research while abroad remain accountable to the Purdue Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Purdue's Human Research Participant Program, Office of Research Administration. It is advised that all forms be completed before departure since email signatures are not legally acceptable.   Contact IRB for more detailed information about conducting international human subjects research.   

[11]  Register Students with U.S. Consulate Overseas: The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Required fields include student name, date of birth, travel itinerary, passport number, and destination.  The State Department provides the STEP registration online. You can also Learn About Your Destination.

[12] Advice from FBI: Advise students to be aware of foreign intelligence threats, as referenced by the FBI.

[13]  Graduate School:   For graduate students, ensure that students are appropriately registered during their time abroad in conjunction with expectations of the Graduate School.  This would include but not be limited to terms of an Assistantship, terms of a fellowship, and research registration.  The definitive source is the Purdue Graduate School.

Note that for study abroad program that is administered through the Office of Programs for Study Abroad, this same office attends to the above tasks.  The given communication is about other international activities done by Purdue students.

Adherence to each of these expectations is crucial for the ongoing viability of international activities.  Contact for more details.